Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bloomberg's Counting

Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I) once again rejected any notions that he would run for the presidency in 2008. As reported in The Hill, Bloomberg again laid out his publicized plan to remain mayor of New York City until December 31, 2009, when the term ends, then start his journey in philanthropy.

Bloomberg also minced no words in ruling out a bid for the vice presidency. When asked if he would consider running on another candidate’s ticket, Bloomberg flatly replied “No.

“I've got a job and it's a great job. And I'm going to finish this job and then my next career is going to be in philanthropy.”
Bloomberg, a Democrat turned Republican turned Independent, said his recent travels around the country were made to raise awareness on issues about which he cares. He added that many are reading too much into these trips.

“I think it's interesting, people assume you are running for president when you just say, ‘Look, these are issues that I care about. These are issues that are important for my daughters and for the world that I’m going — that they're going to be part of that I'm going to help leave them,’” he said. “Why should only presidential candidates focus on that? I think we all have an obligation.”

Of course, the best line from Bloomberg is one that has been often recycled and is up to the minute every time he says it.

“I have 890 days left in my term, but who's counting?” Bloomberg said on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “I plan to finish out my term as mayor of the New York City and then go into philanthropy.”


Apparently, Bloomberg's been counting. Ever since his announcement in Los Angeles that he would be a registered Independent, Bloomberg has kept track of how long he has left in his mayoral term, even estimating the time left down to the hour that day in Los Angeles in June.

So why the constant countdown? Is it a reminder that his plans are etched in stone or is he looking for a way out? We'll find out by the end of 2008 which is the case. Until then, Bloomberg will certainly continue to be at the forefront of America's mayors in voicing his opinions and concerns across the country and about the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home